(*The Fine Print: ParanormalPopCulture.com cannot validate claims made by the columnist. Before taking any advice offered by the columnist, you should consult your physician)
|Lyme-carrying deer tick|
Dr. Spectre: Great question, Aiden. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or so they say. Lyme disease is becoming epidemic and Lyme awareness should be on the forefront of every paranormal investigator's mind. Lyme disease is a serious disorder that is caused by a microscopic, corkscrew-shaped bacterium (spirochetes) that are transmitted by the bite of deer ticks. Symptoms of Lyme are often times confused with influenza, infectious mononucleosis and rheumatoid arthritis. There is no fool proof way to prevent from being bitten, but here are a few helpful hints to stack the odds in your favor:
- When you are outdoors, use insect repellent containing an active ingredient specific for ticks. Follow the directions on the package.
- Wear light-colored socks and pants to help spot ticks.
- Tuck pant legs into socks to reduce the risk of ticks getting under your clothing.
- Spray socks and pant cuffs with a repellent for added protection.
- Examine yourself after a trek through the woods. Better yet, have a very close friend do it.
- If you find a tick, use a pair of tweezers to grasp the tick's head as close to the skin as possible (without crushing it) and pull it directly out. Do not remove ticks with petroleum jelly or hot objects, such as matches or cigarettes. These methods can increase the chance of a host tick injecting you with dangerous bacteria.
- Make sure to see your doctor if you feel you may have been exposed to Lyme disease. In most cases, Lyme disease can be effectively treated with prescribed antibiotics.
These are only a few suggestions, if anyone knows of another way please feel free to let us know in the comment section. The more we share the information the better off we all are.