According to Bloody Disgusting, the 40th anniversary boxed set will include some amazing extras, including exclusive footage of author William Peter Blatty revisiting iconic locations that inspired the story; Blatty reading a new passage from the book; and a revealing interview with Father Eugene Gallagher, the man who first inspired Blatty with tales of exorcism.
The full list of extras and special features is listed after the jump. The Blu-ray is set to hit the shelves on Oct. 8, for about $50.
- Beyond Comprehension: William Peter Blatty’s The Exorcist (NEW) 40 years after his novel was published, The Exorcist author, screenwriter and producer returns to where it all began. First stop is a cabin/guest house in the hills of Encino, California, where Blatty wrote the novel. The author visits the place for the first time in 40 years and shares not only memories of writing the book, but also discusses how it inspired him. We then meet Blatty in two key and iconic locations; Georgetown University where the film was shot, and at the now-famous Exorcist steps. Throughout, Blatty reads from his novel, including an excerpt from a chilling newly published passage.
- Talk of the Devil (NEW): While at Georgetown University, William Peter Blatty heard about a true case of possession from Father Eugene Gallagher. At the time the film came out, the priest talked at length about exorcism, the true story and about Blatty; this footage is now available for the first time in many years. It is as revealing as it is shocking.
- Two Commentaries by William Friedkin
- Commentary by William Peter Blatty
- Introduction by William Friedkin
- 1998 BBC Documentary “The Fear of God: 25 Years of the Exorcist”
- Raising Hell: Filming the Exorcist Set footage produced and photographed by Owen Roizman, camera and makeup tests, and interviews with director William Friedkin, actress Linda Blair, author/screenwriter/producer William Peter Blatty and Owen Roizman.
- The Exorcist Locations: Georgetown Then and Now—Featuring a tour of the iconic locations where the film was shot.
- Faces of Evil: The Different Versions of The Exorcist—with director William Friedkin and author/screenwriter/producer William Peter Blatty discussing the different versions of the film and featuring outtakes from the film.
- Original Ending
- Interviews: The Original Cut, Stairway to Heaven, The Final Reckoning
- Sketches & Storyboards
- Radio Spots
- TV Spots
- Premium:Excerpt of The Friedkin Connection: A Memoir